(Click here for Queensland private site links.)
(Click here for Queensland corporate site links.)
(Click here for Australia wide heritage and private site links.)
(Click here for worldwide sites on Australian Rail.)
(Click here for a portfolio of sites that I have built.)
Links to Queensland Railway Specific Sites.
Heritage/Tourist Railway Sites.
- The Workshops Rail Museum - Ipswich This site contains information on The Workshops Rail Museum. One of the finest railway museums in Australia, it is located in Ipswich, birthplace of Queensland Railways.
- Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway (QPSR) is a volunteer non-profit rail organisation running steam and diesel motive power at Swanbank near Ipswich Queensland. This site contains information about the organisation, operating times etc.
- The Brisbane Tramway Museum. In June 1968, The Brisbane City Council announced its intention to close down its tramways and change over to an all bus transport system. A public meeting was soon convened with a view to preserving a representative collection of the city's tramcars. Thus the Brisbane Tramway Museum Society was born.
- Munro Tramway Historical Group Inc. Dedicated to the preservation of Shay Loco 906 Munro No.1 and the history of the Munro Tramway.
- ATRQ - Association Tourist Railways Queensland The Association's members are operators of heritage and tourist railways or other organisations based in Queensland, with an interest in the preservation and operation of rail heritage for all Australians, and visitors to our country.
- The Southern Downs Steam Railway. Their station is based on the site of Warwick's former Locomotive Depot, before closing in 1969. Now called the Warwick Railway Precinct, it is the site of C17 locomotive and carriage restoration, as well as housing historical documents and artifacts.
- Downsteam Tourist Railway and Museum is based at Drayton, Toowoomba and runs an extensive museum featuring preserved Queensland locos, rollingstock and other rail related items of historical significance. It also holds on site tours, runs corporate events, special events and group functions.
- The Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum Society (ANGRMS) Situated at Woodford, just north west of Brisbane, ANGRMS is dedicated to the preservation of locomotives and rolling stock used on the Queensland sugar mill tramways.
- Mary Valley Heritage Railway (MVHR) is based in Gympie, Queensland. Join MVHR as they share the stories of the Mary Valley Rattler line, its people and its history. Trains run Gympie to Amamoor and return every Wedensday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Australian Railway Historical Society Queensland Division is a volunteer non-profit organisation based at Rosewood.
Railway Enthusiast's Private Sites.
- QRIG.org An extremely comprehensive database on Queensland Railways maintained by Dean Stalker and the team. Incorporates the QRIG user group.
- SIGQ - Signalling Interest Group Queensland was founded in 2003 by Frank Tybislawski to provide a forum where people interested in the history and development of railway signalling and safeworking systems, specifically as used in Queensland, could share information.
- The Queensland Rollingstock Preservation Group (formerly The Queensland Diesel Restoration Group) is a privately funded volunteer group dedicated to the history and preservation of ex Queensland Railway diesel locomotives and rollingstock.
- Weston Langford Railway Photography has been photographing and documenting railways and related infrastructure Australian wide since 1960. The site has over 35,000 photos with a good search facility to find what you want. AWESOME is not enough to describe this site!
- Kimball Thurlow's Web Site Queensland Railways Steam Engines Portfolio by Kimball Thurlow.
- Peter and Susan's Web Site Lots of info on Queensland's Railways and railway related places in Queensland plus info about my other passion! Tim-Tams!! Nice!!
Railway Corporate Sites.
Links to other Australian heritage and private sites.
- Queensland Rail's Official Site. All sorts of info including time tables and fares from Queensland's long distance travel and Brisbane suburban passenger rail provider.
- Aurizon's Official Site. Tonnes of information from Queensland's biggest freight hauler and Australia's biggest coal hauler!
- Pacific National's Official Site. Pacific National operates intermodal freight and/or bulk haulage in all of Australia's mainland states. In Queensland Pacific National runs intermodal freight trains between Brisbane and Cairns, runs coal trains on the Blackwater and Goonyella systems and runs the seasonal bulk sugar contract to Port of Townsville.
- Watco Australia's Official Site. American, Pittsburg based company Watco currently serves several different customers in Australia. CBH Group, Brookfield Rail, GrainCorp and Intermodal Group. In Queensland Graincorp is their customer and Watco have recently been aquiring locos and rollingstock to fulfill their grain haulage contract. Their Queensland base is in Warwick.
- G:link - Gold Coast Light Rail's Official Site. Here you can find out more about the Gold Coast's new tram network, pricing, frequency, service changes and more.
- GoldlinQ Pty Ltd - Operator franchisee of Gold Coast Light Rail contracted by the Queensland Government for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of the Gold Coast light rail system.
- Airtrain's Official Site. Airtrain, the company operating the rail link from Brisbane Airport to Brisbane City.
- Byron Bay Railroad Company Ltd running on a section of the old Murwillimbah Line between Byron Bay's CBD and three kilometres north to the Sunshine Beach area is Australia's newest tourist railway! It runs the world's first fully solar powered train rebuilt from heritage NSW 600 Class railmotors 661 and 726, orignally built in 1949.
- New South Wales Rail Museum The NSW Rail museum based at Thirlmere in Sydney's southwest is home to a significant rail heritage collection, including over 100 rolling stock items, associated with the history of railways in NSW.
- Australian Steam Preserved Locos Downunder provides a listing of surviving Australian steam locomotives, including location and status. Locomotives are listed by their state of origin.
- The Bellarine Peninsula Railway The Bellarine Peninsula Railway operates a collection of heritage trains from around Australia on 16 km of restored track from historic Queenscliff to Drysdale on Victoria's beautiful Bellarine Peninsula near Geelong. Their collection includes a number of examples of exQR rollingstock and Loco PB15-454.
- The Goulburn Crookwell Heritage Railway The Goulburn Crookwell Heritage Railway is a non-profit organisation whose aim is the protection, preservation, promotion and restoration of the historic Goulburn to Crookwell branch line. New South Wales, Australia.
- Australian Railway Historical Society. Redfern. N.S.W. Founded in May 1933. ARHS is dedicated to the study, restoration, preservation and running of the historic railways of Australia.
- East Coast Heritage Rail (formerly 3801 Limited) operates day tours and charters out of Sydney as well as scheduled services to the Illawarra and Southern Highlands, running historic Australian locos and rollingstock. You can learn more about them from here and book tours.
- Puffing Billy Railway One of Australia's most famous tourist railways! This century-old steam train is still running on its original mountain track from Belgrave to Gembrook in the scenic Dandenong Ranges, just 40 km east of Melbourne, Victoria.
- The Zig Zag Tourist Railway is in Lithgow New South Wales. Since the disastrous bushfire of October 2013 which swept through the railway destroying infrastructure, machinery and rollingstock, volunteers have been working hard in the hope to have the railway restored to running order in the not too distant future.
- Glenreagh Mountain Railway Glenreagh railway line is situated 40 minutes drive from Coffs Harbour. Opened in 1924, the line climbs 736 m in 69 kms via steep grades, sharp curves, 15 bridges and 2 tunnels.
From the UK
- The Signal Box An extensive site with information on the history of British signalling infrastructure. These same systems were adopted in most Australian railways and railways in Queensland.
Other sites that I have built for myself and others
- Amberley Brass is one of a handful of brass only bands left in Australia. Based at RAAF Base Amberley, Queensland, the band is a volunteer band comprising of currently serving service personell, retired service personell and civilians.
- The story of the Alfa Romeo Alfasud - An Australian Perspective A scaled down and reworked version of a site I built on Alfasuds many years ago. I thought the work I put into it and the info was still worth throwing on line for any who may have an interest in the poor old Sud!
This page Copyright Colin B Power 2021. Qld. Australia.